Call for applications: ENAR Advocacy Officer
9-month contract (maternity cover)
Deadline for applications: 9 December 2018
Job Title: Advocacy officer
Salary: € 3034/month gross full-time
Reports to: Director
Responsible for: volunteers and interns as appropriate
Working hours: Full time
Where: based in Brussels
Length of contract: End of January 2019 – End of October 2019
The Advocacy Officer implements the policy strategy, as developed within ENAR’s annual work plan and in line with ENAR’s overall strategy, as outlined by the Director and in close cooperation with ENAR team.
Primary responsibilities, by priority order
• Support dissemination of ENAR’s book on antigyspyism;
• Support coordination and development of the Alliance against antigypsyism;
• Carry out advocacy work related to the post-2020 EU Roma inclusion strategy;
• Support ENAR’s advocacy and mobilisation activities related to the EU elections;
• Liaise with the consultant in charge of developing the strategic paper on intersectionality and policy-making and organise consultations with the ENAR team;
• Support the coordination of the European coalition against Islamophobia;
• Support the officer in charge of advocacy work related to National Action Plans against Racism;
• Draft preliminary policy positions, policy papers and support the development and coordination of advocacy initiatives;
• Liaise with policy makers and politicians as well as any other relevant counterparts, when and where required;
• Support in the preparation of content for conferences and publications and other ENAR initiatives;
• Support draft grant applications and final reporting;
• Work closely with the ENAR team to ensure consistency in the advocacy, communication, logistics and campaigning work.
• Work flexibly as a member of the Team and the organisation and undertake other reasonable duties and responsibilities at the request of the Director and other colleagues;
• Assist the smooth running of the organisation, working with other ENAR staff to meet the organisation’s overall objectives, including strategic and operational planning, participation in periodic performance and training reviews, and contribute to organisational development where relevant;
• Attend and assist with relevant event as appropriate;
• Proactively share relevant information and expertise within the organisation.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Educated at university level or equivalent degree or experience
• Minimum 3 years of proven track record in policy analysis and/or lobbying work at national or international level, of which at least 1 year’s work experience at EU level
• Very good understanding of EU legal instruments, policies and EU institutions
• Good knowledge of anti-racism, human rights, discrimination and/or related issues. Expertise about mainstreaming antigypsyism in policy is an asset.
• Extensive knowledge or at least 1 year’s work experience in an NGO or similar organisation
• Experience of working in a multicultural team and an international environment
Abilities and skills
• Outstanding political and analytical skills
• Excellent drafting skills
• Good communication and presentation skills (ability to address a wide range of audiences)
• Fluency in English (speaking and writing)
• Sound organisational skills and ability to prioritise work and to meet deadlines
• Good team player, sound judgment and maturity
• Ability and willingness to travel as required
The Advocacy Officer reports to the Director.
No line management duties beyond guiding their own intern, if applicable.
ENAR aisbl strives for a diverse staff and ensures that opportunities offered are accessible to all regardless of gender, age, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity. ENAR encourages members of groups which are affected by racism and related discrimination to apply for this post.
A complete application contains:
1. An application form part 1 and part 2
Please note that the home page (part 1) of this application form is not shared with the selection committee until the interview. Please make sure that your application (part 2) is anonymous. Do not put your name on this form.
2. The equal opportunities form. Although we would welcome receipt of this form, it is not mandatory. Please do not put your name on this form.
CVs or any European application forms won’t be accepted. You are required to use the ENAR application form. All information given in the application, including the Equal Opportunities monitoring form, will be treated in a confidential manner.
Source : enar